Thursday, May 20, 2010

What does it mean to "Fix your eyes on Jesus?"

What does it mean to "Fix your eyes on Jesus, or To pick up the Cross and follow him?"

I have heard this time after time. and I was never quite sure what it meant. Until, today.
I read some things from Shelia Walsh and this is what she said,

" that every time my will crossed God's will , I dragged my will back in line with his. It means doing things that I know are good and true, whether I feel like it or not. It means setting my face and heart towards heaven just as Jesus did.
I believe that phrase means that we study how Jesus lived, how he loved , and followed hsi example. When we find ourselves in a difficult place, we do what he did: we turn to our father. Faith is not wishful thinking of theatrics. Faith is born in us as we fix our eyes on Jesus and as we recognize the fingerprints of God the Father all over our lives." (Extraodinary Faith)

I am not sure what I thought when I heard the pastor or sunday school teacher tell me to fix my eyes on Jesus or to pick up my cross and follow Him. I guess I always imiagined that it meant that everything I did of thought needed to be "cross referenced" to what I thought God wanted for my life. and I do think that this might be somewhat of what it means.

I want to live like Jesus did. I want to Love like Jesus does. and when I find myself in a difficult place I want to remember to turn to my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment